Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Turn Their Hearts Aside

1 Nephi 19

I've often thought about what it would be like to have lived in Jerusalem during the days of Christ.  What would I have thought of this stranger, preaching strange things?  What would I have felt?  Would I have followed my heart and followed Him?  Or would I have turned my heart aside, like so many people did back then.  I know what I would like to believe.  We would all like to believe that we would have been numbered among the few who listened to Him, who felt our hearts burn within us, who left everything to follow Him, even to the foot of the cross where He hung and died for us. 

I think the answer lies in my life today.  I read about the Savior, His life, His ministry.  I learn about His great love and long-suffering.  I feel my heart burning with gratitude, with testimony.  But what do I do with these feelings?  I can honestly say that I try, each and every day, to remember Him -- to remember His example, to remember His sacrifice, to remember His love, to remember His friendship.  I want to be like Him.  I strive to be like Him.  I take stock and see my failings.  I repent.  I try harder.

They say that there is no greater love than a man give his life for his friend.  My goal is to always live worthy to be called the Savior's friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment