Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Closer Look

2 Nephi 31:20  "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, with a love of God and of all men.  Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

I've chosen this scripture for memorization this week, and for a deeper look.  The words I've highlighted are words that stick out to me, inviting me to look further and understand better.

Steadfastness -- The footnote references the topical guide topics commitment, dedication, perseverance, steadfastness, and walking with God.  It is interesting to me that waking with God was included.  That's a bit of imagery I want to think more about today.  Am I walking with God?  Or am I walking away from Him?  Again, the reminder to be guided by the Spirit plays an important part.

The dictionary defines steadfast as:
fixed in direction; steadily directed: a steadfast gaze.
firm in purpose, resolution, faith, attachment, etc., as a person: a steadfast friend.
unwavering, as resolution, faith, adherence, etc.
firmly established, as an institution or a state of affairs.
firmly fixed in place or position.
 
I like to think that I am a steadfast friend to the Lord.  That I am steadily directed.  I'm old enough to be firmly established; I've been a Mormon for 37 years now.  I ought to know what I'm doing by now, right?  I do not waver.
 
Perfect brightness of hope -- Again, it helps to turn to the dictionary.
Perfect:
conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type.
excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement.
exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose.
entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings
accurate, exact, or correct in every detail.
thorough; complete; utter.
pure or unmixed
unqualified; absolute.
expert; accomplished; proficient.
 
So, my brightness of hope is exactly fitting to my needs and purposes.   It is accurate, thorough, complete.  It is pure, not mixed with any hint of despair.
 
I must have a love of God and ALL men, not just the ones I get along with.
 
Feasting --   "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6
 
Endure --  
to continue to exist; last.
to support adverse force or influence of any kind; suffer without yielding; suffer patiently.
 
So, I must first of all continue to exist, and I must outlast my adversary.  I must suffer patiently without yielding.
 
Eternal life --  "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3
 
Whew.  That's a lot for today.  Now back to more pondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment