Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Gospel of Jesus Christ

2 Nephi 31:10-21  3 Nephi 11:31-41  3 Nephi 27:13-22

Just reading the title of this section in my study this morning had a very strong effect on me.  My heart was full, and tears came to my eyes, just like right now as I'm typing this.  I love the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I love my Savior.  I love my relationship with Him as I have come unto Him, as I have learned of Him, as I have followed Him, as I have tried more and more to be like Him.  I have been blessed beyond measure as He has taken so much pain from my life -- and I have had so much pain in my life.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is very simple.  Come unto Christ.  Have faith in Him and His atonement.  Let that faith move you to want to be better, to be rid of the burdens you carry.  Repent.  Show your repentance by following Him into the waters of baptism.  Then He will purify you by the Holy Ghost, and the Holy Ghost will be your companion, to show you how to continue the path to Christ, always following Him.

"These are not steps that [you] experience once in [your life]; rather, when repeated throughout life these principles become an increasingly rewarding pattern of living.

"Obedience to Jesus Christ is a lifelong commitment.  Through exercising faith, repenting, being baptized and committing to serve Christ, and then receiving the Holy Ghost, we can experience healing, forgiveness of sins, and complete conversion to the Savior and His gospel."  (Preach My Gospel, p. 6)

My experience is that this is true.  He always stands with open arms, ready to receive you.  It is a warm and wonderful place to be.

2 comments:

  1. I continue to be amazed at how the meaning of the word "obedience" is so simple yet so complex when you apply this teaching. Not complex as in hard to understand but complex as in the depth of meaning. I find the more I obey the more I want to obey and the more the is to obey in the first place:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monique, it's funny how your perspective changes as you grow. As a teenager, obedience felt so restrictive; now, it feels freeing, and like you said, it reveals a depth of understanding and blessing that you couldn't have imagined before.

    ReplyDelete