Sunday, November 7, 2010

Beware of Pride

Mosiah 4
Beware Of Pride by Ezra Taft Benson


"Pride is a very misunderstood sin, and many are sinning in ignorance. (See Mosiah 3:11; 3 Ne. 6:18.) In the scriptures there is no such thing as righteous pride—it is always considered a sin. Therefore, no matter how the world uses the term, we must understand how God uses the term so we can understand the language of holy writ and profit thereby. (See 2 Ne. 4:15; Mosiah 1:3–7; Alma 5:61.)

"Most of us think of pride as self-centeredness, conceit, boastfulness, arrogance, or haughtiness. All of these are elements of the sin, but the heart, or core, is still missing.

"The central feature of pride is enmity—enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowmen. Enmity means 'hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition.' It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us.
Pride is essentially competitive in nature. We pit our will against God’s. When we direct our pride toward God, it is in the spirit of 'my will and not thine be done.' As Paul said, they 'seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ’s.' (Philip. 2:21.)"

It's interesting how, when you are studying a topic, you are led to other sources that help you understand, that deepen the meaning of what you are learning.  I have been wanting to know by what yardstick I can measure my journey in coming unto Christ.  And I think I've been largely on track: I will know if my love towards others is increasing, and it will be evident in the service I render to others.

The article I found on pride reveals the obstacles that Satan places to distract me from that goal.  Pride makes me feel superior to others, justifies me in not reaching out to people who "deserve" their situation.  It keeps me from humbling myself and submitting to my own circumstances, no matter how challenging they may be.  It encourages me to push my own agenda rather than listening to find out what God has planned for me.

Funny, how much you find that needs to change once you decide it's time to change.

Action items:  Pray to be humble.  Ask to know God's will, and accept it.  Pray to see opportunities to be kind.  Identify judgmental thoughts and correct them.

No comments:

Post a Comment