Thursday, November 11, 2010

With His Stripes We Are Healed

Mosiah 14

  3 He is adespised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
  4 Surely he has aborne our bgriefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
  5 But he was awounded for our btransgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are chealed
 
I can read these verses over and over again.  They make me feel so much love for my Savior.  A man of sorrows, acquainted with grief, who has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows.  Sometimes, in my darkest trials, the Spirit whispers to me that there is someone who understands exactly what I'm going through.  Only one.  He alone knows just how painful this is, just how much strength and courage it takes to get through this day, or even through this one moment.  He has already borne this grief.  He knows.

There is something amazingly comforting knowing you are not alone, that you don't have to carry your burdens alone.  It is like being yoked to Him; He takes the weight off your shoulders just enough that you can bear it.  Without Him, it is crushing.  Just too much.

This is what I think about when I try to understand the atonement.  This is how I strive to apply the atonement in my life.  I come to my Savior, Jesus Christ, with my burdens, and I lay them at His feet.  He whispers to my heart, "I know.  I understand.  Follow me, and we'll get through this."  And then the miracle occurs.  I am healed.

I've explained to my children the miracle of the atonement isn't just that Christ has taken away our sins.  It is that He heals us from the pain in our lives that drove us to sin in the first place.  The evil that we do, the sins that we commit are usually a poor attempt to muffle the pain in our lives.  It is because we are healed that we have no more desire to do evil, that we can find joy in doing good continually.

No comments:

Post a Comment