Thursday, November 4, 2010

Gratitude

Mosiah 2

As I started my scripture study this morning, I was thinking about how I could tell if I am "coming unto Christ."  What changes would I expect to see?  How would I be different?  The answer that came to mind would be that I would have a greater love for people.  The way that I would show my love would be through service.

v. 17  And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn awisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the bservice of your cfellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

So, I think that my desire to be kinder, to find ways to act kindly towards others is a step in the right direction.  Another way that I think I can tell if I am coming unto Christ is if I grow in gratitude.

King Benjamin pointed out that we are already indebted to God because He gave us life and all the opportunities that life brings.  Then, God has commanded us to keep His commandments, which if we do, He immediately blesses us.  So we remain indebted still.  I think that coming unto Christ would awaken a sense of that indebtedness.  Especially as I think about the atonement and the great sacrifice that my Savior made for me.  It makes me feel of His love.  It makes my own love grow.

This month, with Thanksgiving approaching, reminds us of the many blessings we are grateful for.  But I don't think I should need a reminder.  I should feel gratitude the way that I feel love for my husband and children, naturally and without force.

Hm.  Something to think about, something to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment